Thursday, November 15, 2018

Bleu Cheese Souffle


Okay, so after two challenging challenges, I did a soufflé which was a daunting task in my head, but was totally quick and easy and freaking delicious. I did it on wine night (Thursday nights with my mom), so that tells you how quick it is. I make nothing that takes more than like 30 minutes on wine night because I want to eat, and I need to drink. Once I am done with all the challenges, I will hopefully post more favorite wine night meals and food prep meals. Right now, though, we are only on number 3 of 24, so hang tight! 

I used the Queen’s recipe-  I mean Ina and not Beyonce here. Yes we are on a first name basis, at least in my dreams and in my kitchen. Here’s her recipe: https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/blue-cheese-souffle#.UL5VL2jzR_U.pinterest  

For this challenge, I did have to buy ramekins, which was my first specialty purchase for this challenge. I’m sure most normal human beings have ramekins for things like salsa or guacamole or anything else you want smaller than a normal sized bowl for… Anyway, I bought Pioneer Woman’s ramekins. They’re beautiful AND practical. I bought ones like this: https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Woman-Market-Ramekins-Colors/dp/B015PPYVH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538581230&sr=8-2&keywords=pioneer+woman+ramekins


Also she has a basset hound, which I happen to have as well! Meet Perrin, and my mama!


Okay, done going down the rabbit hole. Anyway, here’s what you’ll need:

For the soufflé:

3 tbsp unsalted butter, plus some for greasing the ramekins
¼ c finely grated parmesan cheese, plus some extra for sprinkling
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup scalded milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Pinch of cayenne
Pinch of nutmeg
4 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
5 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature1/8 tsp cream of tartar
3 ounces good Roquefort cheese, chopped *let’s be honest, I used Aldi bleu cheese. No regrets.

Making it:

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Butter the inside of an 8-cup soufflé dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. *Again, I didn’t use the big soufflé dish- I used the ramekins and made 4 small soufflés. Also, can we just comment that you get to put parmesan cheese even on the dish! Delicious.
2. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about two minutes. 
3. Off the heat, add in milk and spices. Put back on the heat and cook over low heat for about a minute until smooth and thick. 
4. Off the heat again, while the mixture is still hot, whisk in the egg yolks one at a time. Stir in the bleu cheese and parmesan. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. 
5. In a stand mixer, put the egg whites and cream of tartar in with a whisk attachment. Beat on low for about 1 minute, on medium for 1 minute, and on high until they form glossy stiff peaks. *again, do I know that you NEED to do it on 3 different speeds? No. Did I do it? Yes, because I do what Ina tells me to (most of the time).
6. Whisk ¼ of the egg whites into the cheese sauce to lighten it, and then fold in the rest. Pour into the soufflé dishes, then smooth on top. Draw a large circle on top to help the soufflé rise evenly, and place in the middle of the oven. *I did the circle thing. You can  see what happened because of that... Yes, I realize I have a muffin top on my souffle. Come at me, bro.  
7. Turn the temperature down to 375. Bake for 30-35 minutes if in the big pan. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN! It will make it deflate. *I think that I baked my small ones for 15-20 minutes. 
8. Enjoy hot. It’s still okay later, but it’s best straight out of the oven where you burn the whole roof of your mouth when you eat it. I promise it’s worth it. 

9. Fluffy pillows of cheesy awesome…. 
10. I’m just daydreaming about cheese now. You can stop reading any time.

Rating (scale of 1 - 5):
Difficulty: 1
Amount of Time: 1
Awesomeness: 5









No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...