Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Marshmallows

Okay, so this challenge is one of the two challenges that I had on my list that are re-dos. 22 of the challenges were brand new. This challenge is something I failed at before and wanted to try again. And who doesn’t love marshmallows? Also, I used this on top of a chocolate ganache pie, and it was to. Die. For. I have no idea what I did the last time I made marshmallows or why they failed, but this recipe was easy peasy, and totally worked. I even made them again for Christmas gifts. You will need to make these the day before you want them. They have to sit overnight. Just a heads up.
I used this recipe, although I didn’t make mine peppermint, so I’m just gonna leave that part of the recipe out on here: https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/easy-peppermint-marshmallows/582fc3e4-bad5-40bf-8954-565947232145
1/3 c powdered sugar
2 ½ tbsp unflavored gelatin
½ c cold water
1 ½ c granulated sugar
1 c corn syrup
¼ tsp salt
½ c water *yeah, separate from the other ½ c water. I know. It was confusing to me too. It’ll all make sense, I promise.
1. Generously grease the bottom and sides of an 11 x 7 glass baking dish. Dust pan with powdered sugar. *Who the hell has an 11 x 7? Is that even a size? I used a 9 x 13 inch pan, and it was fine.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, sprinkle gelatin over ½ c cold water to soften; set aside.
3. In 2-quart saucepan, heat granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt, and ½ c water *you see, the second water* over low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Heat to boiling; cook without stirring about 30 minutes to 240F on a candy thermometer or until a small amount of mixture dropped into a cup of ice water forms a ball that holds its shape but is pliable. Remove from heat. *Okay, so I don’t know if it’s because I have an electric stove top, or what, but 30 minutes is insane. I got to soft ball stage at like 12 minutes. Trust your candy thermometer, and if you still aren’t sure, which I wasn’t, do the water trick. This is what you’re looking for:
4. Slowly pour syrup into softened gelatin while beating on low speed *I used the whisk attachment*. Increase speed to high; beat 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture is white and has almost tripled in volume. Add in salt and vanilla and mix to incorporate. Pour into baking dish, patting lightly with wet hands. Let sit uncovered at least 8 hours or overnight. *I so didn’t think that the water would work because this shit’s sticky AF, but it totally does.
5. Once set up, dust cutting board with powdered sugar. Place the rest of the powdered sugar in a bowl. Loosen the marshmallow from sides of dish. Lift out and place on cutting board. Cut into 1-inch squares. *Here’s what you should do. Second time, I totally got it down. Get yourself a bowl of water on the left side of your cutting board. Stick a pizza cutter into that water. On the right side of your cutting board, put your bowl of powdered sugar and a plate for your finished marshmallows. Then go to town! Every time your pizza cutter gets too sticky, just dip it in the water. Coat all cut marshmallows in powdered sugar. **I’d also let them sit a bit before packaging because I found that occasionally I’d have a sticky spot still, and I just dipped them again in the powdered sugar.
6.Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks!
As I said, I used some to top a chocolate ganache pie. I got a store-bought graham cracker crust because Aldi was out of graham crackers…. That’s what happens right before Thanksgiving, I suppose. But, if you can, just make your own. The store-bought ones don’t have as much structural integrity.  
For the ganache, I use this recipe, all the time, and it couldn’t be easier: https://livforcake.com/dark-chocolate-ganache-tart/
12 oz dark chocolate *I just used chocolate chips, but I have also had a craving for this pie before and literally used all my Ghirardelli squares chopped up to get 12 oz.
1 c heavy cream
4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp, cubed
*Also this recipe doesn’t say to put salt in this. PUT SALT IN THE CHOCOLATE. Always. Always.
1. Put the chocolate and butter into a bowl.
2. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan barely to a simmer.
3. Pour warm heavy cream over chocolate and butter. Put some plastic wrap on top of the bowl for about 5 minutes to help the melting process along.
4. Stir with a spatula until smooth. 
5. Add salt to taste. *Oh poor you, having to taste glorious melted chocolate to make sure it’s perfect.
6. Pour into pie crust and let set up overnight at room temp, or 1 – 2 hours in the fridge.
7. If you have a blow torch because you bought one when you did crème brulee, unlike me, because you’re not a cheap ass, you can just put some of your marshmallows onto the set up pie and torch away, my friend. S’mores pie.
If you DON’T have a blow torch, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pile some marshmallows onto the parchment. Set your oven to broil. Stick those babies in and WATCH them. They will die quickly. Once they’re to your liking, take two spatulas, and try to get all of them on top of your pie!

Rating (Scale 1 to 5):
Difficulty: 1
Amount of Time: 2 (not including the fact that you have to wait overnight)
Awesomeness: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...