Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Double Chocolate Pound Cake

I've been working with pound cake recently and wanted to do a chocolate version. I had planned to go
off of my other recipe that I did, but then I was looking at chocolate pound cake recipes, and a lot of them called for some kind of milk as well. Then I was like should I do that? Anyway, long story short, I said fuck it, and did my usual ratios, and I was not disappointed. This cake is dense in the best way, with a great crumb, and hidden chocolate chips scattered throughout. This is a pound cake, so you know the rules. Equal parts (by weight) butter, flour (and cocoa), sugar, and eggs. This amount of batter made 5 mini loaves, or it is great for a bundt pan. Next time, I may even put chocolate ganache on top for a triple threat.

For the Batter:
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp (12 oz)
1 1/2 c granulated sugar (12 oz)
7 eggs (12 oz- my eggs were small, so it is best to weigh if you can)
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c cocoa powder (combined with flour for 12 oz)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips *I just decided to do the whole bag so that we would stay on the 12 oz train

1. Preheat oven to 325F and prepare your baking pan, whatever that may be. Goop is a good application here, especially if you're using a bundt pan.
2. In a stand mixer, combine sugar and butter and cream for about 2 minutes.
3. Incorporate the eggs one at a time until fully combined.
4. Add vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, put all dry ingredients and mix to combine. Slowly add to the stand mixer of wet ingredients.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula so that the stand mixer doesn't kill them.
7. Pour into your prepared pan. If it's a mini loaf, mine took about 48 - 50 minutes. If it's in a bundt pan, it can take a little longer. Test with a toothpick, and take it out when it comes out clean- reminder that there's chocolate chips in here, so it won't be perfectly clean ever.
8. Once slightly cooled, you can turn them out onto a wire wrack to cool completely.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...