Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Honeymoon Cookies

So I made these cookies for my neighbors who just got married. If you know me, you know I love a good themed gift, and this gift was beer themed. So, I made cookies using honey and blue moon = honeymoon cookies. It's adorable, damnit. Love it. You know you want to.

Anyway, these are a really easy dough, and they aren't overly sweet. The beer makes they yeasty and earthy, and the honey (and orange zest because, hello, blue moon) bring it all together. This recipe makes about 2 and 1/2 dozen cookies or so.




For the dough:
12 oz of blue moon (you're going to reduce this and use it for both the dough and the glaze); you could probably get away with 8 oz, but I had a bottle, soooo here we are. What I'm saying is buy the bottles, and if you want, you can take a few swigs of it before you start reducing.
1 c (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tbsp honey
2 eggs
2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
Zest of 1 orange
*I didn't put any cinnamon in here, but imagine that is a great idea, and I may do that next time. I just didn't want it to overpower the beer flavor.

1. Put blue moon in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Reduce until about half. This does take a while- you don't want to crank up the heat to make it go faster. Ask me how I know... I also did mine the night before so that it's cooled off; if you do it day of, just allow it to come to room temp before using.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together butter, honey, and sugars.
4. Add one egg at a time, mixing to incorporate. Add 1 tbsp of blue moon reduction.
5. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients- flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add to the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Add in orange zest.
5. Allow dough to chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up a bit.
6. Scoop out balls and place onto cookie sheet. Bake 8 - 12 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. *mine took about 12, but my oven always tends to take longer*
7. Allow to cool completely before glazing.

For the glaze:
3 tbsp blue moon reduction
1 tbsp honey
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
Pinch of salt

1. Mix together. If it feels too thin, you can add more powdered sugar. If it feels too thick, you can add more blue moon.
2. Dip top of cookies into glaze and allow to firm up.
3. Enjoy with your favorite beer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...