Sunday, May 17, 2020

Cinnamon Swirl Pound Cake

Is anyone else having a hard time baking in quarantine? I feel like my shit just isn't turning out like it usually does. Can it sense my stress? I don't know, but I was determined to have something come out, and this cake did NOT disappoint. Thank god- I felt like I was losing my touch for a minute! This is a straight up pound cake recipe with a cinnamon swirl and some streusel for good measure. By straight up, I mean all the same weight for butter, sugar, and flour. I did weigh this, but I will try to give you pretty close to cups measurements. It's easiest to start with the accouterments and then move on to the batter so that you have everything ready to assemble.


For the Cinnamon Swirl:
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp milk (I used heavy cream because that's what I had)

1. Combine all ingredients a small bowl.
2. Pour into a small piping bag or ziploc bag for assembly.

For the Streusel:
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 tbsp unsalted butter, cold
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix with fingers until you get the butter about the size of peas. Set aside until assembly.

For the Cake:
3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp (12 oz)
1  1/2 c granulated sugar (12 oz)
1 3/4 c flour (ish) (12 oz)
6 large eggs (12 oz)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Prepare a bundt pan with goop and preheat oven to 325F.  *You can also do this in a loaf pan or really any pan that it'll fit into, and do your streusel on the top.
2. Cream together butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment until the mixture becomes a pale yellow and is slightly fluffy. This will take about 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Slowly incorporate eggs, making sure mixture is combined between each addition.
4. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Then add them to the wet ingredients slowly until incorporated.
5. Add the vanilla. Let's assemble!

Assembly:
1. Pour half of the batter into the prepared bundt pan.
2. Cut a hole in the corner of the ziploc bag and pipe in swirls of the cinnamon swirl mixture, using half now, and half later.
3. Take a toothpick or butter knife and swirl the mixture into the cake batter just slightly- like you're making a marble cake.
4. Sprinkle half of the streusel topping on top.
5. Repeat- cake batter, cinnamon swirl, toothpick, streusel.
6. Bake for about one hour, but check at about 50 minutes. When a toothpick inserted comes out clean, you are good.
7. Allow to cool before turning it out, and then glaze.
For the Glaze/Icing:
1 cup (ish) powdered sugar
3 tbsp milk (again I have heavy cream)
1 tbsp corn syrup *I tried this, and it does make it thicker and a little more luxurious

1. Mix together until it's at the consistency you want.
2. Pour on top of the cake. *mine was really thick, so it was more of a smear than a pour, but I liked it like that. Follow your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...