Saturday, May 2, 2020

Everything Bagel Crackers

It's still quarantine time. Still.. Week 6 of at least 10... Mustn't dwell. Anyone struggling a little bit, like I am? I wanted to get into the kitchen and play around with some recipes because that makes me feel better, but as I have said a few times already, I need treats that the two other people in my house will actually eat with me, and I need to not make a million of something. This recipe checked both of those boxes. I also wanted to try making crackers because I have really only made shortbread, and that is so not the same. These crackers are crunchy and sharp and would be a great addition to a charcuterie board if you happen to have the fixins at home. I didn't, so I've just been eating them straight up or with some hummus. You really can't go wrong. Did I also mention that this recipe from start to eating is like maybe 30 minutes at most? I didn't count the crackers because I am bad at forethought, but this recipe makes two cookie sheets-worth of crackers.

For the crackers:
4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, cold and cubed
1 1/4 c-ish all-purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp everything bagel seasoning (plus more for topping)
1/3 c cold water

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor, add in all ingredients but the water and pulse to combine. *I just have one of those baby food processors, and that's totally fine. I feel like you could probably make this by hand like you would a pie crust, but I didn't try that yet, so I don't have a ton of pointers for you.
3. Slowly stream in the water while pulsing until the dough starts to come together and pull away from the sides.
4. Dump out onto a clean surface with a little flour dusted and roll out really as thin as you can get it.
5. What I should have done is probably do this step here, but I did it when they were cut, which is fine, but I bet it would be easier here- sprinkle some more everything bagel seasoning on top of the dough and gently press down so that the seasoning sticks.
6. Take a pizza cutter and cut the dough into strips and then into squares, or really whatever shape you want. *Also, as you can see, I am really bad about cutting into even squares. Like I really can't do it, and I can't be bothered to measure out and do it precisely when I'm just making them for my own snackies.
6. Place the squares onto lined baking sheets and dock with a fork to give some steam holes.
7. Bake for about 10-13 minutes or until they are slightly golden brown. I rotated my pans about halfway through.
8. Allow to cool completely before devouring. Store in an air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...