Friday, January 22, 2021

Grapefruit Shortbread Cookies

This was the second challenge for the 52 weeks of baking (2021): seasonal ingredients. I decided on grapefruit because I love it. I think I'm probably about 70 because I eat it straight up all the time. Anyway, these aren't super grapefruit-y; they are more like a nice shortbread with a little hint of citrus, but I am writing the recipe down so that I don't forget what I did (because it's delicious), and I can try to punch up the grapefruit flavor more in the future. So what I'm saying is, even if you're not a huge grapefruit fan, just give these a try. Also check out my sweet ass cutting board that my husband made me. Perfect picture setting.

This recipe makes about 2 dozen large cookies. 

For the dough:

1 c unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temp

1/2 c granulated sugar

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour *this is what I used, but it may change depending on the humidity and the amount of juice you get from the grapefruit 

1/2 tsp salt

zest of 1 grapefruit

juice of 1/2 a grapefruit

1 tsp vanilla 

1/2 tsp cardamom *I didn't do this yet, but I think it will help with the citrus tones

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. 

2. Add juice, zest, and vanilla and mix to combine.

3. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients: salt, *cardamom*, and flour. 

4. Turn out onto a clean surface. It is a little crumbly at first, so work the dough into a ball that stays together. 

5. Flour a rolling pin and roll out to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick; use your favorite cookie cutter to stamp out cookies. *you will re-roll the dough again for more cookies. It's okay, I promise. 

6. Take a spatula and transfer them on to a baking sheet. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes or until lightly golden on the bottom and just barely on the edges. 

7. Allow to cool on a wire rack before glazing.

For the glaze:

Juice of 1/2 a grapefruit

1 - 1 1/2 c powdered sugar *again, you know the rules. You can see in the video below the consistency you are looking for.

*I think more zest here would also be good, but then you have to have more than one grapefruit, so there's that. Do with this information what you will.

1. Put juice in a bowl and sift in the powdered sugar a bit at a time. I'd start with about half a cup and then mix it up. If it needs to be thicker, add more powdered sugar. If it needs to be thinner (probably doesn't), add more juice or water. 

2. Dip the top of the cookies into the glaze and then return to the wire rack to allow glaze to firm up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...