Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Red Velvet Cupcakes


I am just gonna say it. I'm not a huge fan of red velvet. It's like it tries to be a chocolate cupcake but just can't quite make it. Now, I will say, I AM a huge fan of cream cheese frosting, so that helps red velvet's case in my eyes. I have been playing with this recipe for a while because I wanted it to be chocolatier but kept running into the issue of the extra cocoa powder muddying my color. So this is where I'm at now- I have found a pretty good balance of color and flavor. And besides, you HAVE to have red velvet for Valentine's Day.
This recipe makes three 9x9 inch cake rounds or about 3 dozen cupcakes.



For the Cupcakes:

1/2 c vegetable oil

1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp

2 c granulated sugar

3 eggs, separated

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 c all purpose flour

1 1/4 c cake flour

1/4 c cocoa powder *I bought this "red cocoa"- it helped a little, but I don't know that it is worth the money. If you want to use a little less cocoa (like 2 tbsp) instead of this expensive cocoa, do it. I've done it. 

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 c buttermilk

1 tbsp vinegar

red food coloring (I don't really have a measurement for this- keep putting it in until you get a color you like- it will darken in the oven a bit. I used 1 oz or a little more)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F and prepare cake molds or cupcake tins. 

2. In two bowls, separate eggs and whisk the egg whites to medium peaks. Add some food coloring into this as well. Set aside. 

3. In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together oil, butter, and sugar. 

4. Add in eggs yolks one at a time until incorporated. Then add the vanilla. 

5. Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. 

6. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to sugar mixture. 

7. Add in the vinegar, some red food coloring, and about half of the buttermilk. 

8. Repeat with another 1/3 of dry, second 1/2of buttermilk, and finish with the last 1/3 of dry. 

9. Gently fold the egg whites (or egg reds now ;) into the batter and fully incorporate. 

10. Divide into your cake/cupcake tins. If you are making cupcakes, it's about 15 - 18 minutes in the oven. For cake, it's about 18 - 22 minutes. 

11. Allow to cool before frosting.

For the Frosting:

2 (8 oz) boxes cream cheese, room temp

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp

5 (ish) c powdered sugar

Splash of vanilla

Pinch of salt

*splash of heavy cream or milk- If it feels too thick, I like to add a bit of milk or cream to smooth out.

1. Put butter and cream cheese in stand mixer and mix to combine. 

2. Gradually incorporate the powdered sugar. 

3. Add vanilla and salt. 

4. Add a splash of heavy cream or milk if you want. 

5. Load up those cupcakes with delicious cream cheese frosting! *You will want to keep these in the fridge because of the cream cheese. I suggest taking them out about 20 - 30 minutes before eating so they can warm up a bit.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Gluten Free Brownies

This recipe is riffing off of a flourless chocolate cake recipe I have used in the past. So, like duh, it's already, gluten free, but I ...